dominoqq gb777 pkv games poker qq slot raffi ahmad judi bola euro bandarqq slot depo 5k slot depo 25 bonus 25 slot raffi ahmad slot bonus new member judi bola euro pkv games slot77 slot77 slot77 dominoqq slot depo 25 bonus 25 Judi Bola Euro bandarqq pkv games slot77 judi bola euro slot raffi ahmad mix parlay judi bola euro bandarqq dominoqq pkv games toto slot mix parlay bandarqq scatter hitam
Alrasool Islamic Center - National Fund For Sacred Places
2023 Cohort

Alrasool Islamic Center

(Islam)

Taylorsville, Utah

Alrasool Islamic Center in Taylorsville has served as a center of Muslim faith and community since 1988, repurposing and reinvigorating one of the few surviving buildings in Utah that document the evolution of the Mormon chapel in the Intermountain West. 

Alrasool Islamic Center courtesy Alrasool Islamic Center

Alrasool Islamic Center courtesy Alrasool Islamic Center

2023 Cohort

Alrasool Islamic Center

(Islam)

Taylorsville, Utah

Alrasool Islamic Center in Taylorsville has served as a center of Muslim faith and community since 1988, repurposing and reinvigorating one of the few surviving buildings in Utah that document the evolution of the Mormon chapel in the Intermountain West. 

Alrasool Islamic Center was originally constructed in 1894 by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as an assembly hall and chapel. A cultural hall and classroom wing was added in 1910. As Mormonism developed as a faith tradition over the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many early assembly-hall type chapels like the building that now houses the Alrasool Islamic Center were demolished for new buildings to serve the evolving needs of the Mormon faith community.  

After serving the Mormon community and then as an Assembly of God church, Alrasool Islamic Center purchased the building in 1988. Alrasool’s congregation reflects America’s engagement with the Middle East over the past several decades, having been established by a handful of young Shi’a men who immigrated to the United States after fleeing the establishment of the Iranian Republic, the rise of Iraq’s Saddam Hussein, and the subsequent 1980-1988 Iraq-Iran War. Alrasool received another influx of Iraqi immigrants after the United States invaded Iraq during the 1992 Gulf War. Subsequent congregants joined Alrasool after immigrating to the United States following the 2001 American invasion of Afghanistan, the 2003 American invasion of Iraq, and the 2022 American withdrawal from Afghanistan. Alrasool’s community programming focuses significantly on immigrant outreach, special education classes for couples and families, and youth Islamic courses. The Center hosts students from Utah high schools and universities who attend Alrasool’s lectures on Shi’ism and Islamic culture, and it serves as an important community resource for non-Muslims to learn more about Islam.  

A National Fund grant of $250,000, with at least $500,000 in matching funds to be raised by Alrasool, will support urgent building needs including foundation stabilization and repair, window and masonry repair, accessibility upgrades, and hazardous materials abatement.   

Alrasool Islamic Center courtesy Alrasool Islamic Center

Spotlighting Women’s History at Historic Houses of Worship

Religious institutions have served both as a platform for the advancement of women’s rights and opportunities, and women have played critical roles in advancing religious traditions. The leadership and community building opportunities within these sacred sites have been critical to increasing female independence outside of the home and allowing women to develop institutions that strengthen their congregations and broader communities. The four historic houses of worship highlighted embody positive examples of how the histories of women and religion are inherently linked.

First Church in Oberlin

Stories and Media Coverage

Read more about how the National Fund for Sacred Places is helping congregations around the country rehabilitate their sacred places.

Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church by Luis P. Gutierrez